SCA_ - Supportive Care Assistant
SCA_ - Supportive Care AssistantSciences de la santé
Durée du programme
14 weeks (six-weeks online training and two-month paid work placement)
- Understand the role of the Supportive Care Assistant within the interprofessional team
- Engage with the client and interprofessional team members to support client well-being
- Demonstrate professionalism, and accountability and confidentiality to the client, families, interprofessional team members, and employers
- Respect the client's unique physical, cognitive, psychological, cultural, social, and spiritual needs when providing assistance
- Support clients' rights to privacy, dignity, respect, and confidentiality
- Understand the need for empathy towards each client in recognizing that each client is unique and may experience health challenges differently
- Demonstrate inclusive practice when interacting with clients, families, and other interprofessional team members
- Show respect for clients and their families' beliefs, values, and rights while responding to situations with honesty, humility, and integrity
- Understand the importance of communication and relaying information appropriately
- Practice safe, supportive assistance to promote client independence during activities of daily living
- Implement practices to maintain a clean and organized client care environment
- Demonstrate appropriate use of touch while providing supportive assistance
- Demonstrate knowledge of the chain of infection as it relates to disease transmission and prevention
- Implement proper infection control measures to adhere to guidelines and policies
- Respond to safety hazards and unsafe situations
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada (international students cannot register).
- Legally entitled to work in Canada according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- For English first language speakers, students must provide proof of proficiency (Grade 10 English for most provinces).
- For English as a second language speakers, students must provide proof of English language skills (IELTS 6.0; CLB 6; CEFR B2) or equivalency.
- Any transcript containing adapted level or “Programme de compétences essentielles au marché du travail (PCEMT) ” courses will be subject to additional assessment.
- Applications from individuals 21 years or older who do not have a high school diploma will be subject to additional assessment.
- An individual who has completed mathematics courses prior to the new mathematics paths A, B, and C, should consult the guidance counsellor of the CCNB campus where the program is offered in order to determine eligibility toward the chosen program.
- The “Programme de compétences essentielles (PCE)” is a specific high school path which prepares the student for enrollment in one or several pre-established programs leading to one or more trades.
- The application of an individual who has obtained a high school diploma with courses from the “PCE”, and who wishes to change to another field of training, will be subject to an additional assessment.
Renseigements additionnels sur la formation
- Student enrolled in this program will have to deal with the realities of the profession:
- To take this training, the student must:
- Some internship sites require a criminal record check.
- The candidate may have to provide proof of certain immunizations.
Sanction des études
Aussitôt qu'il satisfait à toutes les conditions du programme, l'étudiant se voit décerner no certification en Supportive Care Assistant
This program may be of interest to the person who:
- Likes to take care of others (physical contact);
- Is interested in working in working with older adults and other people requiring assistance;
- Has good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Is friendly, flexible, and able to encourage people warmly;
- Appreciates teamwork and collaboration;
- Maintains good physical health;
Perspectives de carrièreThe supportive care assistants work in the long-term care or home care industry. They assist certified personal car providers and the health care team to support clients. The role involves performing non-clinical activities which could include:
- Assisting with meals
- Assisting with cleaning and disinfecting
- Stocking materials required by clients and health care staff
- Making clients’ beds, cleaning their rooms and other areas
- Providing companionship, comfort, and support
- Assisting with moving about and accompanying clients as they move about
- Participating in activities with clients
Emplois visés :
- Autre personnel de soutien des services de santé
Service de soutien aux personnes atteintes d'Alzheimer et autres démencesLe programme Service de soutien aux personnes atteintes d'Alzheimer et autres démences vise à préparer l'étudiant à oeuvrer auprès de personnes atteintes, et ce, en tant qu'aidant naturel ou soignant dans un cadre institutionnel. Le programme offre une formation qui traite des éléments physiques, physiologiques, psychologiques et sociologiques, permettant ainsi de se familiariser avec toutes les facettes en la matière.
En savoir plus...